“Anchors Aweigh!” couples a multi-use kit with a series of guidance videos for parents or caregivers to build the reading foundations of 3-6 year olds. The videos will take parents through how to teach four foundational aspects of literacy.
The kit consists of 4 different TYPES of learning tools (teaching manipulatives, a workbook, a DIY kit and a storybook) to kickstart your learning voyage with your child, at home. We encourage parents to set aside just 15 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week, to work on a learning activity with your child - you may be surprised at the results!
You can also gift-a-kit to a low income parent in Singapore, at half price. Take a look here.
How to use
The kit will come in a reusable, sturdy drawer box. It contains a hardcopy guide that provides:
- A testing sheet you can use to assess your child to determine what his/her foundational literacy gaps are.
- A simple weekly lesson plan template for you to outline what you want to teach your child in 5 to 15 minute sessions during the week. (An erasable pen is also provided so the template can be used over and over!)
- An overview of the kit's contents and how to use them
- A phonics hand action photo guide
- Links to our guidance videos.
Our guidance videos will cover:
- How to teach the alphabet, phonics and sight words
- Demonstrations of how to conduct "shared reading"
- Ideas and demonstrations of how the items provided in the kit (see below) can be used to teach different literacy skills - alphabet knowledge, phonics sounds, spelling and reading!
New videos will be added periodically so that those who own the kit can get fresh ideas for how to use the items, or DIY materials at home, to practice your children's reading skills.
1x Alphabet Flashcards (26 cards)
1x Pre-primer Sight Words Flashcards (40 cards)
1x Lacing Alphabet Beads (1 set uppercase, 1 set lowercase; 2 threading laces)
1x Magnetic foam letters (a-z in lowercase; 26 letters)
- 1x DIY Kit set
- 1x tub of playdough
- 1x bottle of sensory salt
- 1x whiteboard
- 1x whiteboard marker
- 1x stack of sticky notes
- 2x glitter foam sheets
- 3x pipe cleaners
- 1x activity book - ONE of two options:
- Learn Aa to Zz The Fun Way! Book Set
- Literacy 1
- 1x storybook - ONE of three options:
- Where is baby's belly button? (for 2-3 year olds)
- Five Little Ducks (for 3-4 year olds)
- The Selfish Crocodile (for 5-6 year olds)
- 1x parents' guide with 1x erasable pen
- 1x sticker set (wrapped around the kit box)